Search This Blog

Sunday 21 August 2016

HackerBox 0009: Virtual Worlds

Hackerbox Unboxing

Box 0009: Virtual Worlds 

Part 1: The materials 

 

Hello, my name is Alex, and this is my first subscription box review. I chose Hackerbox because I love to work with all kinds of electronics. I have been playing with computers, electronics, and wires and stuff for as long as I can remember. I loved the movie Hackers (1995), but I like to call this having fun with electronics and getting things to work. The theme of this box is Virtual Worlds, and we will be building a VR headset and motion tracking system that makes use of a smartphone. I have started some of my own DIY VR projects already, but have had trouble getting the controls right so far. This is still very new (again) technology, but now with smartphones and Google building much of the software, it looks like VR is here to stay this time. I have not built this project yet, but will base this review mainly on the quality of the materials. The rest of the information is available on Instructables, here. To get started with your own subscription, check this link. Lets open it up.





Printed material 

Reference card


I love these reference cards. When you are troubleshooting an issue, its easy to see the critical data about a device, and work trough a problem quickly when things get tricky.


On the back we have the ref data for the motion tracker module. 


Its glossy and thick, good quality ref card.

Stickers


A bumper sticker like sticker. Not completely vinyl, it has a paper core, so I would not put this outside. I would put this on my computer case though.


I didn't know the darknet had a logo, but this sticker looks cool.


Consumer hardware

VR Case


This is a big step-up from my cardboard. I found a very similar one on banggood.com for $26.13 cad.


Large, good quality optics, and a comfortable padding around the inside. It is very easy to wear for long periods of time.


There are focus adjustment knobs on each side, and a main focus adjustment on top. It is a bit hard to open but will hold your phone securely. The foam in the middle of the holder plate helps to keep that device secure. The front plate with the graphics is removable, and on some phones, this may allow the phone camera to see while wearing the headset. On my Nexus 6p, the camera was too close to the edge and would require some modification to the plastic to get a good view of the real world while in VR.

Wireless game pad


Here is the Bluetooth controller. I found it on BG for $10.


QR code direct download for drivers printed on the back. Reset pinhole on back as well.


USB micro B charge port, most things today use this connector.


A slide switch on the side, marked Game and Key.


I have pretty big hands, and I find this quite comfortable to hold between my index finger and thumb. The textured finish helps, there is some weight there for such a small device. Attaching a strap might be a good idea if you have one, or tie a piece of thin rope to the bar above the direction hat. The hat moves around smoothly, and the buttons don't have much play or side-wobble.


Here is a copy of the instructions.

BT Dongle


Generic BT 4 dongle. This will be useful for this project but is not that special. There are newer protocols, but 4 is the latest major revision. more info here


On the side of the metal is printed BLUETOOTH 4

Gloves


Brightly colored safety gloves. I am not sure what these are for yet, but I think the bright color might work like a kind of "green-screen", or it could be a way to keep the controllers secure to the hands.


That zipper is metal, the teeth are plastic but big and sturdy. They look well made for this kind of project, but not at all water proof. I don't think I would use these for any sort of construction project.


The palm has a textured rubberized finish. There is a faux leather index finger and thumb tip. This makes that area flatten out some and makes it easier to feel through.


This will make for a nice DIY Power Glove!

Electronic components



Wires


A pre-made wire harness. I have seen these been called "dupont cable". The insulation is pretty thick on this one, and the wires are pretty rigid for stranded core, it tends to hold its shape.

HC-05


This is the BT module to interface with the Arduino. It has 2 PCBs in a shrink wrap. One of the pins were slightly bent when I opened the box, but I bent it back in shape easily. There is a push button under the shrink wrap, it pushes in with a finger nail but is very small. The blue PCB is 1.2mm. The green one is .7mm. Over the wrap, is 3.9mm. Do not try to remove this shrink wrap, it is part of the device and probably would fall apart without it.


Clear pin ids printed on the back, very helpful.

Arduino Pro Micro A


This is the core module of the project. This one comes in a nice static bag with pin headers. I like the Not to be handled by unauthorized personnel part. From a different manufacturer I found this part to cost $26.62


Very nice build quality, perfect soldering and nice thick 1.6mm PCB.


Not much on the back, all the printing is on the front.

MPU-9250


9-Axis motion tracker module has a silvery static bag commonly found in computer products. The top seal is not straight, and is not very photogenic, but oh well its a bag.


I like to see that included pin header and clearly marked pins for all of our modules.


Double printed labels on the back too, good job!

Project board and bits


The last bag has a blank project board, two momentary switches, 2 double sided velcro stick-ons.


This project board is 4cmx6cm and has 20x14 rows of holes, there are 12 external lead contacts on the sides. The rows are numbered, this is helpful when planning out the space and soldering in the components.


The back side also has printed contacts.

Conclusion



This box is well worth the money invested. I see no poor quality parts here, everything is very nice. If purchased separately, this project would cost more than double. Hackerbox subscription is $53 incl. ship. We will cover the completed project and the Inscrutable, in Part 2.

Well done Hackerbox! I am very impressed with this box and cant wait to put this together. I will pick up some previous boxes if available, and get some more in the future.

Thanks,
-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment