Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 June 2016

Awesome Pack May 2016 (Last One!)

 Alex and I were so happy to see our Awesome Pack on our front doorstep.  However, it is with mixed feelings we announce that this will be our last box.  By no means should you interpret that as we don't like this box anymore, that has nothing to do with our reasons to cancel.  As a matter of fact, Awesome Pack did such a great job at getting us acquainted to the world of board games, we now feel like we can venture out on our own and pick a board game monthly at our local board game shop.  If you're new to board games or appreciate the convenience of board games on your front doorstep every month, this is totally worth it and I very much recommend it.  Alright, now that I've said my two cents, I shall start the review of this month's box.


So, as always, I'll give you a run down of what is Awesome Pack: You have the choice of two different packages:
Awesome Pack Family : geared towards families with kids of all ages to encourage family activities.
Awesome Pack - Big Kid: geared towards big kids at heart, obviously the one we opted for.

Before you get your first box, you fill in a questionnaire so you can get a better fit to your family.  Example, I informed the company that the box is for myself and my partner (32 and 33 years old) and a few of our interests.  They also try to find out which games you already own so they don't send you a duplicate.  Pretty cool, right?
Prices are $44.99 for US and $49.99 for Canadian residents. Shipping is free.

**not pictured, we got another Awesome Pack pin which I attached to my lunch box. **

 Our big board game this month is Kairo (RV 49.95$ on Amazon.ca).  This game is a 2-4 player game for players 8 years old and up that lasts approximately 45 minutes.  Here is what Awesome Pack had to say about it "The bazaar in Cairo is bustling already early in the morning.  Carpets, precious oils and exquisite spice are waiting for their customers.  Build your market place to attract the most customers!  The bigger the shop, the more victory points!"  Here's a video from The Dice Tower that explains how to play it.  Looks pretty fun and simple enough to play.

The second game we got is Jeopardy Travel Edition and based on Outset's website, this game has just been released so they haven't even posted the retail price yet!  I'll take a guess at the price and say it's about 15$ when I base myself on other travel edition board games from Outset.  This plays 3 or more players for ages 12 years old and up and I assume game play can be as long as you wish it to be since there's no actual timing on this.  Awesome Pack says this games "puts all the awesome fun of Jeopardy into a small package!"  Looking forward to try this out :)

Alex is most excited about this item: High Command Rapid Engagement (RV is 11.99$) which is a 2 player deck building game for players 14 years old and up and game play can last between 45-60 minutes.  I'm oblivious to this lingo and I'm not sure I am reading this properly but this is a Hordes vs Warmachine game.  Awesome Pack says this is an "awesome two-player deck building game in which players raise and lead mighty armies to capture strategic objectives across the Iron Kingdom" The Discriminating Gamer has a video up on how to play.


We got a Halo Mega Bloks figurine (RV 3.99$ at Toys R us).  I am uncertain if this is a blind pack or not and I don't know much about Halo as I've never played it but Alex seemed to appreciate this a lot more than I did.  In fact, he didn't even wait until I started my review to open it up and build the figurine.  He's pretty neat :)


And last item is a DC Comics Series 2 Blind Bag (RV. 4.99$) and we got a mini Flash figurine.  I haven't yet gotten into The Flash tv series, but it definitely is on my to do list and I can totally appreciate this little guy.

This month's box had a retail value of 85.92$ which is VERY impressive!  I am also super happy with everything we got this month; Awesome Pack did a fantastic job!  Thank you for making our last box extra awesome!  You guys rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment