Search This Blog

Monday 25 January 2016

Japan Crate January 2016 Unboxing

My explorations of snack boxes available to Canadians continues : today, I received the January Japan Crate at my door, a great way to end a challenging day.  I have to say, the box is much bigger than the Freedom Japanese Market Box, which is a plus and it has a good weight to it.  No complaints here :)
And first thing I notice when opening the box is this mini magazine that fully explains the box's contents as well as include a small comic strip and background story of some of the items included in the box.  This is really well made.

But...before I get into reviewing the items received in the box, let me tell you about Japan Crate and their prices.  So Japan Crate brings you Japanese treats monthly in various sizes and prices:
 There's the Mini Crate at 12$/month that gives you 4-6 Japanese treats.
There's the Original Crate at 25$/month that gives you 8-10 Japanese treats and promises at least 1 DIY Kit.
And there's the Premium Crate at 30$/month that gives you 12-14 Japanese treats, 1 DIY Kit, a drink and a revolving bonus (?).
Shipping is 10-15$ depending on weight.  In the magazine, Japan Crate informed the subscribers that the DIY Kit ordered for this month were damaged during shipping process and promise to make it up in February with a bonus item.  I'm sad though, as I won't be receiving that bonus item seeing I am only subscribing one month.  But they also have what they called the Lucky Lottery where we get random items that are worth at least twice as much as the missing item and some lucky winners even got a Nintendo DS (I wasn't that lucky, unfortunately, but wait until you see what I got in this box!)

I won't be giving prices or links because, trust me, these are super hard to find online.

 First item is Usushi/ Ume Potato Chips (Light Salt or Plum flavored chips).  I'm pretty sure I got the lightly salted ones.  I wouldn't have been opposed to trying the plum ones but am equally happy to have the lightly salted ones.

Pocky's one of my all-time favorite Japanese treats so we really can't go wrong with a flavored one of these in a Japanese snack box.  Japan Crate went classic with Milk Chocolate Pocky.  No complaints here; these are delicious!

These are intriguing me : GABA is a supplement known to help manage stress and anxiety.  I actually used to take GABA supplements and found it quite helpful.  This GABA comes in chocolate form...that is perfect!

Pretz is another common Japanese treat, at least to me.  Every time I go to the Asian Superstore, I usually get a flavor or two of this snack.  I received Pizza flavor, which I have tried before and enjoyed.  These are best described as tiny bread sticks and they pack a lot of flavor.

Another intriguing snack: Sparkling Orange Gummy.  Alex is a big fan of gummies lately, so I know he'll be happy to try these.  They are described as slightly sour, yet sweet.  Sounds yummy.

Is this a bonus item?  It's not showing up in the products area in the mini-magazine.  I know for a fact that these are Hi-Chu's, which I really enjoy and they are in the flavor Strawberry.

And this is another really intriguing one...so intriguing, they were featured in the magazine.  These are Yam White Chocolates.  Sweet potato is mixed with white chocolate to make the perfect mix of sweet and salty treat.  I even appreciate that the candies are individually wrapped, so they will keep longer.

This is the other featured snack in the magazine : Asahi Calpis Gummy.  I've seen the Calpis drinks at the Asian Superstore and have always been curious to try but a bit scared since I didn't really know what it was.  Now I know: the candy is coated in sugar and filled with Calpis jelly filling which is described as a sweet milk.  Sounds interesting...


And here's my drink : Sukitto Lemon C Drink - packed with Vitamin C.  Japan Crate mentions this is perfect to keep you healthy during the winter season.  Well, I wish I had this two weeks ago before I got sick!

And I also got s Hello Kitty Strawberry Pretzel.  These are similar to Pocky and are sure to be enjoyed. Strawberry is another flavor I enjoy in these snacks.

Ok, Alex cracked me up when he saw this small package of gum : "Oh, there's Waldo!"  Fit's Strawberry and Cream gum is going to be a new experience for me, but, again, I quite enjoy strawberry flavors, so can't go wrong there.  There's a special card inside that encourages you to find Waldo...I will definitely crack this open as soon as this review is up to see if I still have an eagle's vision.

Believe me, these were a challenge to photograph.  They are Ju-C Short Cake and are apparently chip candies in the flavor shortcake; with pictures of strawberries on the cover, I assume it's strawberry shortcake.  Seems like strawberry is the flavor of the month.

And then there's Pokemon Pineapple Candy.  This intriguing candy chews like gum while slowly dissolving in your mouth.  I think that's Pikachu?  I'm a tad crusty on my Pokemon names but I find them all adorable.

And I also got two panda pencils and an egg-shaped Pencil sharpener. I'm uncertain if these are certain anime characters I have no idea about.  Please refer to previous comment about my ignorance.  I still really like these items and will use them at the office.


That sums up my Japan Crate.  I quite appreciated the variety in this box and know we will enjoy each and every one of these snacks. As always, I welcome any comments/questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment