Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Julep December 2015 Unboxing

I just got my December Julep box at the start of this week  (not 100% sure if it's December or November but because I opened it yesterday, I am counting it as December...correct me if I'm wrong?) but have not been feeling too well yesterday so I didn't manage to get this review out until now.  I was super pumped to get my first maven box (if I don't count my welcome box) because I managed to partake in a few promotions that were also available at the same time

For those of you unfamiliar with Julep, it is a monthly nail polish and beauty product subscription at a reasonable price of 24.99$/month.  If you sign up on the 3-month plan (pay for three months all at once), it costs you 19.99$/month. Subscribers get to pick their choice of beauty product and nail polish on the 20th of every month and get billed on the 27th.  They are also free to skip a month if needed.

Here's what my box looked like when I first opened it:
 I know this does not show you what I got (that's the point ;) ) and yes, that's a candy cane, which I consumed as soon as I opened the box.  This leads me to believe I am right about it being a December box because candy canes just seem festive.

First item up is their newest matte lip mousse - It's Whipped in Bisou. which retails at 20.00$ (16.00$ for mavens).  This was the item featured this month and honestly, I was not sure I wanted to try it out since I have anxiety issues about sporting too dark of a lip color (I know...strange, right?) BUT! I am glad I gave this a try.  I have to admit I really like this.  It's super soft and the color does not budge.  I wore it today to work, and at first I was anxious because, although a neutral shade, it's a bit darker than my usual lip product and that anxiety got quelled as soon as I started getting compliments on my lipstick.  Yay!  I think I got myself a new favorite!

I can't show the next picture without first explaining.  My box included two nail polishes : Omelia and Virginia (descriptions to follow).  I was also informed that if I chose 3 add-ons, I'd get a free gift...so in comes the other two nail polishes I found in my box...one was a mystery polish add-on at 4.95$ and the other was my free gift though I'm not sure which is which. 
Left to right: Omelia, Sawyer, Katie and Virginia

And here's the polish with the swatches...
And a close up on the swatches.  Keep in mind that all nail polishes are 14.00$ each (11.20$ for mavens).

Omelia is described as "sparkling sugarplum stardust." and it is absolutely stunning.  The stardust finish adds lovely texture and honestly, I read of people adding topcoat to this to make it pop more though I can't see why you'd want to cover up the interesting finish on this polish.  LOVE this color!

Sawyer is described as "copper patina molten".  I love browns and I've been eyeing this color for a long time.  I don't know if molten is a different name for duo-chrome these days but this definitely has an orange-green shift to the color.  I might not have noticed if it weren't for the nail polish I have on my nails at the moment that is also described as a molten.  Beautiful color nonetheless!

Katie is described as "orchid iridescent chrome" and it is absolutely gorgeous!  I can only describe it as a metallic magenta color.  I am so looking forward to sporting this on my nails!

 Virginia is described as "mahogany iridescent molten" and let me tell you, this one is a surprise.  It looks brown but then, when you look at it in the light, it kind of looks burgundy/purple.  It is super lovely.  It does take 2-3 coats to get desired opacity but it is definitely worth it!

This is how I am sporting the color on my nails at the moment, and yep, that is nail bling you see there! and you can kind of catch the purplish shimmer on my middle finger...

This was one of the add-ons I selected, small spike studs to add to nails, which, by the way, aren't that easy to work with.  I think I had better luck when I was dropping it on clear nail polish.  I got 21 spikes in total.  No links for this add-on but I recall it being 4.95$ as an add-on.

And I also got myself some Julep Clean Slate Polish Remover Pads at 4.95$ as an add-on. However, this is worth 10.00$ (or 8.00$ as a maven).  Included are 10 towelettes with nail polish remover and I have to admit I really like these towelettes.

This month's box cost me almost 35$ and it is valued at : 90.95$  That's pretty impressive in my opinion, especially since I will be using each and everything in the box.  No more wasting money on things I won't use.  Now, I don't have to partake in the add-ons each month but this time around, I have to admit I was a tad curious. Looking forward to picking out my next box in about a week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment