Search This Blog

Sunday 13 December 2015

Awesome Pack December 2015 Unboxing

Having a relaxing day, not expecting any visitors when the doorbell rings and lo and behold, my friendly Post Office Carrier is on my front door step with my Awesome Pack!  How awesome is it that I get my packs on a Sunday morning.  I was not expecting my pack until tomorrow. 

Let me explain what this package is:  You have the choice between two different Awesome Packs: 
Awesome Pack Family : geared towards families with kids of all ages to encourage family activities.
Awesome Pack - Big Kid: this is the one we opted for, geared towards big kids at heart.
Before you get your first box, you fill in a questionnaire so you can get a better fit to your family.  Example, I informed the company that the box is for myself and my partner (32 and 33 years old) and a few of our interests.  They also try to find out which games you already own so they don't send you a duplicate.  Pretty cool, right?
Prices are $44.99 for US and $49.99 for Canadian residents.  I'm trying to verify if there's shipping but I can't find anything about shipping on the website.  I believe it is free.

 This month, we got another Awesome poster (Alex claimed this one for his man cave lol) and also a cute bookmark.  I claimed that as mine.  It says "It's Awesome Time" on it and looks pretty cool.  Not going to give a pricing for these two items as this is extra but it's a nice touch.

Funny thing is, this morning, I set out on a mission to start watching Firefly (not even joking), so you can only imagine my surprise when I saw this inside my box.  I want to be honest, I was not drawn in by the first episode so I gave up on it BUT now that I have the board game, Alex and I will watch the short series together so we can understand the game better.  Firefly The Game can be bought at 50.00$.  It is geared to players 13 years of age and up and plays 1-4 players, though it is recommended to have at least 3 players.  Not exactly sure how you can play this game alone...sounds lonely lol.  Apparently this can play 2-4 hours.  Needless to say, we'll need to put this on hold until we've seen the series though I'm pretty sure we can grasp the game without watching the series, especially when there's videos like this one existing.  Let me also point out that this alone covers the cost of the box.  This game is also of awesome quality.


Smartrix is worth 11.95$ and Awesome Pack includes : "Outsmart the Matrix" as its description.  It plays 2-7 players and is geared to players 7 and up.  When I opened the box, I am greeted with a set of cards and a rule book, so seems like a simple enough game where you have to match/create patterns.  No videos exist for this one, but one quick glance through the rule book has me convinced I don't really need one.  Looks like fun.  It makes me think of Carcassone, a bit.  I can't see how this would be a long game either but I can see myself play more than one round.

This set of Poker Dice has me intrigued.  It is worth 7.69$ which seems a bit much for five die, but I won't argue.  I've played poker before and I am known to have quite a poker face but it seems like a dice game would rob me of my tactics, no?  So this game is pretty simple: similar to Yahtzee, you have three rolls to get the best poker hand possible.  The one that gets the best one, wins.  Here's a short video.

I am not opening this item.  Alex and I both agreed to keep this as a collectors item.  It's right on time for the release of the new Star Wars movie, so I completely understand why this would be included in our Awesome Pack.  Hard to say how much these are worth since there are a bunch of die hard fans that would put a lot of money on this.  I am having a hard time finding this online...Here's a website describing what I got.  If I base myself on prices at bottom of the page, one pack could be worth about 3.45$ and that's based on bulk price of 24ct for 81.95$

Verdict: Well, Alex says he preferred last month's Awesome Pack, but I like this one just as much.  It did seem like there was more goodies in last month's box but this one has a retail value of 73.09$ which is much greater than the price of our subscription so I am pretty happy with that.  Also, Firefly seems like a pretty good strategy game, regardless of the fact I have not followed the series yet.  Can't go wrong with a Star Wars collector's item either.  The other two items look to be a win for us.  So I am pretty satisfied with this month's box too.  Thank you Awesome Pack :)

No comments:

Post a Comment